Friday, January 27, 2012

Fun at Santa Monica Beach and Pier

Grandpa is learning that Mommy moves along at "Piper speed" when we're on vacation.  You see, Piper speed can be translated in many different ways.  For instance, when I'm eating, there's "brownie speed" and then there's "greenbean speed."  I eat brownies super fast whereas greenbeans get cold and a few tears get shed before they're eaten.  So Piper speed means if I'm really interested in something, like playing at a McDonald's playground or walking doggies, Mommy will let me spend some extra time on that.

Later rather than sooner, we made it to the Santa Monica Beach/Pier area.  As we were walking towards the water with our beach towels still in hand, a man came up to Mommy asking if she wanted to buy some beach toys.  And she did!  This bucket had everything to make sand castles and sand "cookies".  I had fun for hours with all the neat toys! 


To make a good sand castle, I needed to get some wet sand.  The problem was the waves rushing towards me scared me a bit.  So I kept running away when the water came near me.


Grandpa started digging a hole to see how far down he needed to go before water would start coming up from the bottom.  Can you imagine that?  The ocean coming from underneath the sand!  That seemed really interesting, so I started helping him dig.


The hole was so deep that I could stick my entire leg down in it, but still no water from underneath the sand.


So I decided to get some water in my watering can to put in the hole.  Notice how I'm no longer concerned about getting wet, seeing as how my shorts are all wet now!



We went back to the car so I could change into some dry clothes before we headed over to the pier.  There were so many neat things to see and do!  There was a clown making really neat shapes out of balloons.  And as Mommy thinks it's important to help the economy, she bought me a Minnie Mouse balloon.  This clown made some super fancy balloons.  Have you ever seen a Minnie Mouse balloon like this?  I didn't think so.



Even though I'd already gone on the carousel once, Mommy said I could go again.  So I did!  (Mommy gets dizzy on these, so she waved as I went by.)  What a great end to a great day at the beach!