Saturday, October 11, 2008

Daddy and I flew kites!

Today was a windy day (it is Oklahoma, after all) but it wasn't TOO windy, so Daddy said he had a surprise for me. We assembled some kites and then went outside and flew them! You know how much I like airplanes so you know how excited I was about this. We had never flown kites before, so this was new to me.

First Daddy got out this one that is styled like a World War II fighter airplane. It looks really neat, but didn't fly that well. It kept turning and diving into the ground. Daddy was mumbling something about "poor lateral stability". No, I didn't believe him either!



We eventually gave up on that one and got out the fish kite. What kind of fish flies in the air? I don't know either, but it's a pretty fun kite anyway, with 9 little fish making up the tail, following the big fish. Here we are trying to get it airborne. Hey, I'm pretty good at this!



This one flew REALLY well and we eventually were able to let out all the string on the reel. It was a long ways up! And I'm doing a great job holding it there. Sometimes a gust of wind would come along and try to pull the handle out of my hand, but I held on and would sometimes walk a few steps toward it. Daddy may have helped a little too!



Of course, the kite is kind of like an airplane, so of course I've got to give it a good point and wave!



It was a very fun day. We had that fish kite up there for probably 15 minutes or so until we brought it back down. I hope we do it again soon!