Saturday, October 2, 2010

Taylor airport fly-in lunch

Daddy invited Mommy and me to go flying with him today.  His friend Walt bought a plot of land east of Dallas with a grass runway on it about 6 months ago, and finally it was in good enough shape that today he hosted a fly-in lunch (and dinner, and campout, but we only stayed for lunch).  He was very excited to go down and see all the progress Walt had made, and asked Mommy if she wanted to come with him.  Much to his surprise, she said yes, and thought it would be a great day together as a family.

Of course, I've flown with Daddy a lot more than Mommy has recently, so I knew the routine.  I hopped right up on the wing when it was time to go.


It was a nice flight down with a slight tailwind, and took a little under 1 1/2 hours.  When we got there, I got right to work looking at airplanes, and at the few powered parachutes that were there, like this one!  They fly under a large parachute and Daddy and I sure thought they looked like a lot of fun!


I got in a lot of practice counting.  Mommy and I walked up and down the row of airplanes counting how many there were.  On this trip, there were 12!


Daddy's friend Jim said he had a present for me, and surprise, I ran right over.  It's a "little" big for me now (it's an adult size small), but if you can read the patch, it's a Piper jacket!  He also gave me a couple extra Piper patches.  Thanks!


Mr. Walt has this really cool golf cart.  I had fun pretending to drive it, and even scared Mommy once when I reached down and pressed on the gas pedal a little.  It was still on, and it moved (but only about a foot)!


Of course Mr. Walt saw how much I liked pretending to drive the golf cart, so after we were done eating and talking to everyone, he let me drive Mommy and Daddy back to our airplane.  He operated the gas pedal, but I did all the steering, he didn't even touch the wheel!  Good thing it's got those big tires, because we were definitely off road.  I was having a great time!


We also had a nice flight back, and I got to watch some Dora movies.  I had no idea Daddy was even taking a picture of the three of us!


We all really had a great day, and it was nice to be together.  Of course Daddy thought it was REALLY a great day because he got to fly too!