Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trip to the ER

Today I had my first trip (for myself) to the emergency room. The day started out like any other. I had to let Mommy and Daddy know I was awake so we could all get started for the day. (For some odd reason, I think they'd sleep in all morning if I didn't take care of this all important task.) But by 11 a.m., I just wasn't my usual self. I didn't want any solid foods for lunch nor would I drink out of my sippy cup. Mommy gave me a bottle, which I promptly finished. But then what I drank promptly came back up. Oops!

I figured a nice long nap would help me feel better. Mommy and Daddy were surprised how long I slept, a whole 2 and a half hours. When I did wake up, I didn't want to play or eat or anything. I just sat in Mommy or Daddy's lap and didn't cry or anything. I wasn't running a fever, according to the ear thermometer. (We soon learned just how inaccurate that was.)

Around 4:15 p.m. I was going to have another bottle, but I got really sick, all over Mommy. (Sorry, Mommy!) But since I'd seen the bottle, I really wanted to have it. Unfortunately, I had a repeat episode of getting really sick. Since Mommy was still cleaning up the outfit she'd been wearing, I got sick all over Daddy and the couch. (Sorry, Daddy!)

By then they decided it was time to call the pediatrician's office. My temperature was only at 100.5 according to the "underarm" thermometer. So the nurse said as long as I was able to keep some fluids down and my temperature didn't get over 102 that there was no cause for alarm.
Well, by 7:45 p.m. Mommy and Daddy tried giving me another bottle. I got really sick again. Mommy also thought I felt much warmer than what the thermometer was reading when it was under my arm. So she put the thermometer some place REALLY uncomfortable. (I won't tell you where because you would just think that was wrong of her to do.) Well, my fever was 103.3. I was HOT!

Mommy called the doctor's office back and we all felt it was best if I go into the emergency room.

Luckily, the Moore Medical Center (which is where I was born) is really close and wasn't busy at all. So we were brought into a room really fast and I was taken care of quickly. We all had to wait there for a while to make sure the anti-nausea medicine took effect and my fever went down. We left around 10 p.m. But it was still a really long night for Mommy and Daddy. They had to wake up and give me more Tylenol every few hours to make sure my fever didn't spike back up.

Overall, it was a really long day and night.

By Monday I was feeling much better, but I stayed home to make sure I didn't get any of my friends at the Child Development Center sick. The bonus was I got to play with Mommy in the morning and Daddy in the afternoon as they traded off staying home with me. So something good came from me being so sick!