Sunday, July 8, 2012

Columbus Zoo with Daddy

After dropping Mommy off at the airport, Daddy and I headed right for the Columbus Zoo, which was having a free day for military families.  Sounded like a great afternoon to us!  So while Mommy was sitting on planes all day, we had a great time.

Daddy recently installed some upgraded noise-cancelling electronics in my flying headset, and I wanted to test them out on the drive up.  So he plugged them into my DVD player and I thought it was great!  They worked really well too, and the new ear seals were more comfortable also.  I wore it all the way up and all the way back, a great test for longer flights!


This elephant was taking a nice bath, and got really close!


Of course I had to ride the carousel.  We did it three times!


Daddy realized he was only going to have pictures of me, so made sure to take one of both of us.


They have an aquarium too, and a big sea turtle swam by right in front of me!


I got to touch a sea star, a horseshoe crab, and a super big hermit crab!  The hermit crab's shell must have been almost 6 inches across.  Auntie Charlie would have loved it!  Here I am with the sea star.  We were told to touch it in the "armpit"!


I even got to touch a snake!  I was very brave, and Daddy was proud of me - I didn't shy away at all.


This zoo has a lot of rides too, and after looking at the animals we headed over to that part.  There was hardly anybody there, so I was sometimes the only one on the rides, like this swing. 


The roller coaster had no line either.  Daddy and I went on it twice...


... and then I went on it five more times without him!  That's my first time on a roller coaster without Mommy or Daddy next to me, and I loved it!  Since there was no line, the ride operator even let us stay on and just kept the ride going for three of those times.  It was great, unlimited roller coaster rides, like a dream come true!


As we were walking toward the exit, we saw a strange sight - two zoo workers taking a desert tortoise for a walk!  His name was "Grouchy" and he is 9 years old and about 60 pounds.  They were training him to follow a fake apple so that as he gets bigger (up to 3 times his current weight), they won't have to try to lift him if they need to move him somewhere.  It was a pretty neat thing to see, and ended a really fun day!