Monday, July 4, 2011

"My Best Fun Day Ever!" - The Columbus Zoo

For the 4th of July weekend, the Columbus Zoo was having a "free for military and families" day. So we headed on over, which makes it our first "fun" trip out of town since we arrived here! It's a great big zoo, and we didn't come close to seeing everything.

I liked the bear exhibit! I made some "bear faces" while we were there.


Hey, this one is just my size!


Two of the bears were sleeping right up against a viewing window, so we were only inches away from them. I thought they had pretty big paws! We also saw elephants, lions, tigers, penguins, and lots of other animals. They even had an aquarium there. This fish was bigger than my hand!


After a few hours of looking at all the animals, I found out that this zoo has a lot of rides too! They had a big carousel that I was very excited to go on. And the best part was there was no line, so I got to stay on it for about 4 times in a row!


The other rides all had similarly short (or no) lines too, so we ended up spending the rest of the day on those. And I met the minimum height for almost all of them. We had a great time! They had one water ride, and I really wanted to go on it. We all got soaked!


Mommy was sensible and only went on it once. But Daddy and I went on it two more times. We were really wet by the end, but it was a hot day and felt good. I gave a big scream each time the raft went down the hills!

Since most of the other rides were geared toward kids my age, Mommy and Daddy let me go on most of them all by myself. I felt like a pretty big girl! I loved the swing.


In fact, I got to go on it again, and I was the only one on the ride. I had the whole thing to myself!


The wooden roller coaster was a blast. I went on it four times, sometimes not even getting off between runs, since there was no line. I had lots of fun screaming and raising my hands the entire time, even on the uphill parts!


Mommy was brave enough to try the "Leap Frog" which was a bouncy ride that took us up about 15 feet and dropped us, bouncing up and down (22 times according to another girl on the ride). I did it twice!


I sure liked going to the zoo. In fact, right before we left, I told Mommy and Daddy that today was "my best fun day ever!" Maybe next time we'll look at more of the animals!

Since this was our first highway drive in the new car, Daddy wanted to see what kind of gas mileage we'd get on the way back. So he filled up right after leaving the zoo, and we got 40.7 mpg when we stopped in our garage!