Saturday, September 20, 2008

What a GREAT day! Airplanes, nap, and ice cream!

Today Mommy had to go in to work, so it was just Daddy and me for most of the day! Daddy knew that the local airport was hosting an "Aviation Day" and so we headed on down to see what it was all about. We took the stroller, but mostly I wanted to walk all around and look at all the airplanes. I think I am becoming more and more like my Daddy (and Grandma too) - Mommy doesn't stand a chance!

One of the first airplanes we saw was this DC-3 that the FAA still maintains. It was used to inspect radio beacons years ago, and is actually a National Monument, making it the only one that actually moves! It sure is big!


Even the tire is bigger than me!


I almost got away from Daddy one time by walking right under the belly. He thought that was "no fair" since he couldn't walk under there too. After this picture I kept going to the other side, causing Daddy to almost crawl after me!


Then this plane pulled in next to the DC-3, and I immediately wanted to walk over and see what it was. Daddy said it was a "Cirrus" and that I had good taste. The pilot told me that all the cute girls like to come over to look at it! (Yeesh! Pilots!)


I walked back and forth between the Cirrus and the DC-3 several times. Daddy thought this was just fine because he figured I'd wear myself out eventually, and maybe take a long nap when I got home. Then I got thirsty, so Daddy put me back in the stroller and I had a drink while we looked at some more airplanes. This one really caught my attention! In fact, when Daddy tried to wheel us away, I fussed until he stopped. I wanted to look at it some more. I like the colors! It's a Cristen Eagle aerobatic airplane.


A bit after this an airplane started doing touch-and-goes on the runway, and some other visiting planes started to take off. This was very exciting, and each plane I heard taking off I looked at, waved at, and yelled "hi"to until I couldn't see the plane anymore! Here I am still waving to a plane that is barely visible in the photo anymore. It was fun!


After all this excitement, we headed back home. Mommy was still at work, so Daddy fed me lunch which was some left-over pasta. I love pasta, and scarfed it up as quick as I could, and then all of a sudden....zzzzzzz. I fell asleep between bites! I was so zonked out from all the activity this morning that Daddy was even able to wipe off my face and hands, get me out of the high chair, and put me down on my mat without me waking up. I slept for almost 3 hours!


And the best part was, when I woke up, Mommy was home!!! They were really hungry so we went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant, and then headed to a local pond to feed the ducks. We got to feed turtles and fish too! I kept wanting to go in the water, but Daddy stopped me before I got too close.


After the pond, we headed to Target to do a little shopping. While there, Daddy went to look at some new shoes and took me with him. As he was sitting down on the stool, another family came by with a boy about my size (turns out he was 5 months older than me!) We stared at each other for a minute, not sure what to do. Then his mom said "why don't you give her a hug, Lance". So he did! And I hugged back. They all thought it was very cute. Well, apparently Lance is quite a hugger, because he walked over to Daddy (who was still sitting on the stool) and held out his arms to give Daddy a hug. What happened next was absolutely despicable to me! Daddy picked him up and gave him a hug! The look on my face told everyone in no uncertain terms what I thought of that idea. So once they were done with this disgusting display, I walked over and held out my arms for Daddy to hug me too. Fortunately he picked me right up and gave me a big hug, letting me know I'm still his!


Now, coincidentally, Target also has a Cold Stone Creamery in the store, and also coincidentally, Mommy just happened to have some coupons with her. What a coincidence! So of course we had to stop for some ice cream. Mommy and Daddy both let me have some of theirs - Daddy's was cheesecake ice cream with strawberries, while Mommy's was chocolate cake batter ice cream with brownies mixed in. I liked them both!


We finished the ice cream and headed for home, ending just a wonderful day!