Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Doolittle Raiders reunion B-25s

This morning on the way in to school and work, Daddy and I got a special treat!  To celebrate the 70th anniversary of the "Doolittle Tokyo Raiders", a reunion being held here at Wright-Patterson AFB, somewhere around 25 World War II-era B-25s were supposed to all arrive at the same time to one of the closed runways.  And it just so happened that the first one was arriving right as we got to the gate!  Daddy had known they were arriving today, but not exactly when they would actually show up.  So we pulled off to the side of the road (along with many others) and got great "seats".

There was a steady stream of B-25s landing one after the one, less than a minute apart.  it was pretty impressive!


I said we got great seats!  Daddy had to make sure to tell Mommy that that's not quite as steep a drop-off as it looks.  Really!


One even had to go around, so it flew right over our heads!


There sure were a lot of them.  They all pulled off the runway, then once they had all arrived, taxied back onto the runway to line up as static displays for later in the day.


As if the arrival wasn't exciting enough, after work and school Daddy asked me if I wanted to go see the airplanes up close.  Of course!  I ran up to each one and asked Daddy to take a picture of me.  I even had a new pose for almost every one.  I was really having fun being silly.  To a couple of them, I even ran up and gave them a hug, saying, "I'm giving it a hug because I love airplanes!"  Daddy was so proud (and happy).


We even managed to get someone to take a picture of the two of us.  What a fun day!