Monday, February 13, 2012

Went to the hospital last night

Yesterday at about 4:00 PM I told Mommy my tummy hurt.  She thought maybe it was because I hadn't eaten much lunch, but when I threw up she knew it was something else.  Daddy and Mommy tried to take care of me, but I threw up two more times in the next few hours, so they took me to the emergency room at about 7:30 PM.  There were a lot of people in the waiting room, so we knew it was going to be a while.  But when I threw up again while we were still waiting, the nurse called me back right away.  I was really weak and pale.  After evaluating me, the doctor wanted to check for a kidney infection, but they needed to rehydrate me first.  But I was so dehydrated they knew I wouldn't possibly be able to drink enough water fast enough, so the only other solution was to give me an IV.  I didn't know what that was, but Daddy told me it was like drinking with your arm!  I thought that sounded kind of fun, and was all set to go until he and the nurse mentioned that there will be a little pinch first.  I know about these "little pinches"!  They mean shots!  Well, that's when I started to not think it was such a fun idea, this drinking through my arm business.  When they started to prep my arm for the IV, that's when I started to cry and scream.  Mommy and Daddy felt so sorry for me!  Daddy held me as close as he could and once the IV needle actually went in I calmed down a lot.  When the saline solution began to flow, I told them it felt good.  It was amazing how fast the color came back into my face.  My lips especially had been pale, but they turned red really quickly.

After the first bag of saline it was time for a urine test, which ended up testing fine.  However, it was so dark and concentrated that the doctor went ahead and gave me another IV bag!  That made 800ml total.  I had been really dehydrated!  I was so tired as it was well past 11:00 PM by this point that I slept through the second bag.  Finally it was time to go home, and we ended up getting home about 12:30.  I actually fell asleep on the way home and Daddy carried me into the house and got me in bed without even waking me up (he thinks)!  Just like when I was little!

Daddy took the day off work to take care of me, and we had a fun time, with me gradually feeling better as the day went on.  I had a follow-up appointment this afternoon, and apparently I just got a stomach bug that's going around.  It sure wasn't very fun!