Sunday, February 20, 2011

Daddy's astronomy geek

Recently I've been learning a lot about astronomy from Daddy.  The weather finally cleared up a little this past week and hasn't been as cold, so we got to see Jupiter again, and I learned a constellation - Orion!  I like this one because it's easy to find with the three stars in a row that make up his belt.  We even got to look at them through our binoculars (I used the ones I got for Christmas).

We've looked at some planets and galaxies and other things on Daddy's computer, too.  I'm really interested, and keep asking him if I can see more!  He's showed me a lot of the different constellations, and I told him that Canis Minor (the little dog) is my favorite.  Of course!

A couple of days ago I made him really happy.  At dinner I turned to Mommy and said "Mommy, did you know that baby stars are born in nebulas?"

And today I made him really, really happy.  We were having a treat after lunch, and I took three Reese's Peanut Butter Chips, put them in a line, and told Daddy it was Orion's belt!  He was very proud of me!  He then made his own version of the full constellation of Orion and we ate it.  So then I made it again, and got every detail right, including the sword just like Daddy had made it.  I have a great memory!