Monday, May 9, 2011

Surgery today - ear tube removal

I have had my ear tubes in for a long time now, and the right one just doesn't want to come out.  The left one came out of the eardrum a while ago, and has just been laying in my ear, held in by earwax.  A  month ago I saw the ENT doctor who said that she would need to go in an surgically remove the tube in the right ear or I was at risk for the eardrum never healing properly.  She would go ahead and remove the left tube as well.

It was an early morning as we had to be there at 6:15. But I was mostly a good girl even though I couldn't have anything to eat.  I didn't really want to get on the gurney at first, so Mommy came up until I got comfortable.  We got to play a lot!


I also didn't want to put on the hospital gown at all, but curling up naked under some blankets was fine. Eventually the nurses came and got me and I had to leave Mommy and Daddy.  I was a little sad, but did pretty well trying to be brave!  


Twenty minutes later, I was done.  But I was NOT happy as I came out from under the anesthetic.  I was very disoriented and let everybody within earshot know it, screaming and crying and not being able to use any words for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Mommy and Daddy did their best to comfort me, but I was just not interested!  And then, all of a sudden, I decided I wanted some milk.  After I finished it all, you'd never have known I had surgery!  I got dressed and smiled and laughed just like my normal self.  Mommy and Daddy were very happy about that!

We then had a long wait in the recovery room while the nurse kept coming in and checking my temperature and heart rate before they could let me go.  But no rush, I was having a great time.  When Mommy left the room for a little bit, I wanted Daddy to show me how to operate the gurney.  So we figured out how to raise and lower it, and I found out I could pump it up all by myself by stepping on this pedal.  Daddy was so proud of his little engineer!


After a while we were allowed to leave, and I ran down the hallway like nothing happened.  We went home, and since Mommy and Daddy both had taken the whole day off to be with me, we got to do a lot of fun things together.  First to rest a little I watched Sleeping Beauty.  Then we went to lunch at Chick-Fil-A and I played in the playground there for a long time.  Then, since it was such a nice day today, we went to an outdoor playground and played THERE for a long time.  On the way home, we passed "Ritter's Frozen Custard", and Mommy asked if I'd like to go there and we could sit outside.  Yes!  So Daddy swung the car around and I had a yummy frozen custard with chocolate chips.  Then we noticed there was a small playground there too, so of course I got to play a little there too.

We got home and Mommy started reading me a story (Aladdin), and I fell right asleep in the middle of it!  They let me have a good hour-long nap, after which I helped them clean the car outside, had dinner, and took a long bath with Mommy.  After that I was really ready for bed.

What a day!